The Viola family lives in this land and has been producing oil for generations. They belong to this extraordinary land, and they are rooted here and have a strong tie to the land: the work in the fields and the olive groves as the only means of support, the waiting, the hope and the joy of a good crop after a hard year's work. Those are simple actions that show our respect for this fruitful land. Producing oil is our job based on tradition and innovation and it is still carried on by the present generation whose blood ties are closely intertwined with olive tree cultivation. The memory goes back to Biagio and Lucia Viola who passed down to their son Ferdinando their love and dedication to olive tree cultivation. Ferdinando, after having been a sharecropper for years, bought a little olive grove on Scandolaro hills in the mid 19th century.
At the time even a small landed property was important, because a family could live on it. Ferdinando, known as Fiore, loved his olive groves as well as his wife Anna, who had brought as her dowry a large number of olive trees. A considerable inheritance for their son Diamante, who managed to set up and boost the family business also with the help of his uncle Feliciano, known as "Setteiubbe" (Seven coats).
In 1917, thanks to the joint effort of Diamante and his uncle Feliciano, the property stretched for over 30 hectares and the first Viola oil mill was set up inside S. Eraclio.
A number of agricultural and industrial activities were also started.In 1946 a bigger oil mill was built outside the village and was inherited by Biagio Viola, Diamante's son.
He made it his main trade: the production of oil from the olives grown on his farm.Today, after more than 150 years, his son Marco carries on the family tradition, using the most modern technologies.